Friday, May 8, 2009

Keeping myself occupied at gate 68A.

Scurrying, bustling, stifling, rummaging. Laptops, metal detectors, magazines, coffee, liquid confiscation stress, lots of bumping sounds from my suitcase wheels against the tiles beneath me.
Trouncing around LAX with Starbucks in hand and headphones in ears. There's nothing better than dirty chai's and Ryan Adams in the morning, nothing.
Classic, this scene around me. Cute little fellah plopped down next to me, munching on a churro. His name was Charlie, I learned after his mother scuttled him away, after our exchange of hello's and my noted envy and inquiry of his churro...Charlie smiled, gave me a yup and went on with his 4ish year old life.

Men with polka dot suitcase, women in ties and trousers. My borderline delirium and attempt to caffinate. Making myself at home, 68A, 20 more minutes.
Made friends with two African somewhat goddesses, I could've listened to them talk all day, they were hilarious. We bonded over her cute suitcase and I helped them find their seats, it was a good relationship. You know you're heading to Medford when you see more Chaco's than Rainbows, more NorthFace than UrbanOutfitters and more genuine spirits than rushed tempos of life. The woman in my row likes to talk...heaps. I now no more about he brother Jacob who lives in Merlin, and his love for TraderJoe's popcorn that I ever wished to, yet she knows not why I am traveling today, hmm. The man in between she and I, is kind, and entertaining her remarks, but I know he is secretly jealous of my headphones, my anti-mornings policy and sketchbook escape.

Two men sitting in front of me, empty seat between them, have a rubber chicken seated there (who I later found was named Alfred?) who travels the world with them. Yugoslavia, Lithuania, Germany, Medford...the usual. It is confirmed that it is youtube-able. Go, I know you want to. Chicken on a rocket. Alfred, the transexual chicken... I know, you should've seen these guys.
Good Starbucks quote just now, "People need to see that far from bein an obstacle, the world's diversity of languages, religions and traditions is a great treasure, affording us precious opportunities to recognize ourselves in others. " -- Youssou N'Dour. All the while I am eavesdropping, the sound of "Medford" floating around in converstaion is like a lullaby. One of the greatest feelings is coming home.

No comments: