Thursday, May 7, 2009

Forced relaxation that I never knew I needed.

Busy, busy, busy, late for class, busy, busy, skip a class, busy, sleep a little, busy, real busy, turn in an assignment late, busy, get an A on an assignment, busy, busy, pack, busy, drive, busy... stop.

It's a weird thing when the thing you have been planning for, making room for in your schedule, trying to finish everything so you won't be behind...happens. This weekend I will be traveling home for the wedding of one of my absolute best friends, Brooke Erica Keller. I'm so giddy for her I'm practically skipping, I can't wait to be a part of this huge moment in her life and I am honored to be standing next to her on her special day.

But everything up to this weekend has been crazy, end of the semester, typical cram sessions, back to back laaate nighters and never enough time to get it all done. Registering for classes, figuring out study abroad, apartment lottery, job applications, finances, friends, birthdays, lingerie showers, current job = all work and no play makes Rachel a dull girl.

Now, I am forced to relax. Which I never thought would be so crucial to me, but let me just say...it apparently is. I'm at my beloved family's house in LA, spending some time/the night with them before I fly out in the morning. They live so close, yet I never see them enough, so silly. They are so great.
I'm sitting in the guest room and all I can hear is my own fingers typing and vaguely my cousin writing a paper/watching tv in the next room. I love the creaky floors, the mirrors in the hallway and old pictures from when I was 6 and awkward. I love apple pie and fake grown up talks with my aunt and uncle in the kitchen, giggling about boyfriends and bad 80's hair. I love sitting. I love not hearing girls screaming, doors slamming, vaccums, hairdryers and Carrie Underwood at all hours of the day.

I love that I can feel God more in the whispering, creaking, wafting moments of my life than in the screeching, slamming, heartpounding moments. I serve a God that grants serenity, not that dishes out chaos. And that is what I am currently appreciating.

This passage, 1 Kings 19:11-12 always kicks my butt, but has been especially appropriate this week and even now...

11 The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper."

God is not in the fire, but in the gentle whisper. He is so funny and great.

2 comments:

Shane Pech said...

Like button.

Brian Pannell said...

did you know that passage was ALMOST this year's camp theme?