Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"My business is to create"


"All I know is that if you don't figure out something, you'll just stay ordinary.
And it doesn't matter if its a work of art, or a taco or a pair of socks, just create something new. And there it is, and its you, outside of you and in the world. And you can look at it, or hear it, or read it, or feel it and you know a little bit more about you, a little bit more than anybody else does."

Oh, P.S. I Love You...you get me every time. Last night in a serious after finals crash and burn session, which included chocolate eating, The OC (season 4) watching and sweatpants...I was really struck by this quote. Maybe its the fact that I have been overworked and undersleeped lately, but this made a lot of since to me and resonated in my little growing artist's heart.

This part of the movie is when she is in Ireland, wandering around in this beautiful countryside and then just spills her heart out to a total (attractive) stranger and is word-vomiting all over the place. She reminded me a lot of myslef. Overexpressive, colorful, loud, wordy, and a little lost. It was oddly comforting when I heard the lines above because I've been feeling a little uneasy about art these days. I feel like almost every day I question if it's right for me. But it helped to have some encouragement from the Lord, even if it was through a cheesy but awesome chick flick, God knows me well, and knows exactly what to use to reach me...he's super clever.

Well, this is my last blog of the semester...I am now a second semester college sophomore. When did that happen? God has been so good to me these past few months and has guided me and changed me in ways I had no idea were possible. I feel blessed to be where I am, and to have the experiences and life lessons that I'm having and learning. And even though the details may be a bit fuzzy, both now and in the future, I know that God is soverign and has a way better plan than I do. I'm on board.

Now, I'm gonna make a playlist or two, pack (almost) all my earthly belongings in the back of my jeep and make the long trek home. Please be praying for safe travels with all this pre-white Christmas business.

No comments: