Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Music making time

So lately, I've been wishing I was more musically inclined. I love to sing, and do so often and I know that is a musical inclination in its own right, but I'm talking instrument status.

My dad is a killer pianist, or he was when he had time to be. And he always tried to teach my siblings and I because he loved it and wanted us to also. I was terrible of course, wasn't too fond of the whole reading music extravaganza and all those keys look exactly the same, plus my small hands made me fumble around the keys like a fool. But guess what, now I want to learn, go figure, right?

I also attempted clarinet in 6th grade ONLY because I wanted to do percussion but the bizarre band teacher told me to do clarinet first, to 'work my way up' to drums...ok what? I later learned she has a clarinet fetish, and that section was the biggest in the whole band and they had too many percussionists, awesome. Months of my life...wasted.

In high school I took a shot at the guitar and really liked it, but could never quite handle the whole strum patterns/singing at the same time business.

And one of my life long goals has always been to play the violin, that thing is beautiful. But I never saw myself doing it now. I always envisioned myself older, kids outta the house, rockin some sick silver hair, you know the drill. So I can't jump start that now, that's madness. I'm thinking guitar could work...hmm.

Long story short, amongst my other summer goals, being musical is now added to the ze list.

No comments: