Tuesday, June 9, 2009

{...}

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like in silence.
Would I sing more? Would I create more plans, places to go, people to spend more time with?
Would I hear God more, or just pass my own selfish thoughts and inclinations as His divine voice? Would I put myself down, start picking myself apart? Would I live more closely to the Father in prayer?

I, by nature, am not a big fan of silence. It's not that it makes me feel uncomfortable, or that I think its of little importance...I just like noise. I love the sound of people's soft conversations in the distance, the sounds that waft through your ears when enjoying a starry night, the laughter of those I love, those lyrics of that song I know as if I had written it myself and singing all the right notes at all the right times, footsteps crunching and stomping on the earth, crackling fires and stirring critters; the sound of peaceful sleep, or the sound of memories being made. Its rejuvinating, its energizing, its glorious noise.

Am I letting my preference of sound overshadow the beauty of silence? Am I pushing aside something that I could be growing deeper in appreciation for and gain wisdom from?

I'm afraid that the only remedy for this paradox is to be silent. And I don't know if I want to find out the answers to these questions at that cost.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Haha, you hate silence. I would know more than most...

especially when it was all ncie and peaceful in teh room and you would come in yelling. AHH!

But silence/solitude is a spiritual discipline my friend. Hard for some, easy for others. Just like anything. Love ya boo.