Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why Bob Dylan helps me love things....

While soaking up the musical stylings of good ol' Bob Dylan, somewhere in between Mr. Tambourine Man and Lay Lady Lay, I realized why I love art.

I know, big thought...biiig thought.

I think love it because it is different in the eyes of every viewer.

Explaination: In class the other day during our critique, which I now can take as constructive critisism instead of gutwrenchingly insulting, which it was at first. Now I ironically love crits. I learn new things, stylistically and see things differntly every time with every work of art. I eat it up.

Anyway, I realized that the artist may intend the piece to communicate one idea but each viewer pulls from their life experiences, emotions, or point of view to determine what the piece is or what it represents. I LOVE that. I love that something as specific as an artist intentionally portraying one thought, one detailed expression can be interpreted in countless ways. That is fascinating to me. And is why I love art, both observing and creating. It leaves endless possibilities, and endless ways to impact someone's life. It's a totally unitentionally intimate connection made between the artist and the viewer. It's beautiful, really.

This weekend there is an art symposium at Biola, its 2 straight days of artist talking about themselves and their work. That will be lots of artsy terminology for SURE, ha. I'm sure I'll wanna shoot myself after hearing "aesthetically pleaseing" for the hundredth time, buuuut the art should be sick and I'm oddly excited to go, even though it's required which usually takes the appeal out of most things. There will be lots of thinking, observing, feeling more cultured than I actually am-ing, and life impacting going on there, most def.

Also, last week my class went to the Hollyhock House in Hollywood, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. SUCH a sick house. That man had major ego and OCD issues, but that house was crazy for the time it was built in. Look him up, he's a crazy cat.

I'm going to sip some more tea and listen to some more Mr. Dylan magic.

1 comment:

Angela said...

sick blog. haha jk. you used that word a few times and i thought it was funny how in our day in age... sick means cool haha. also the term "aesthetically pleasing" kills me... so i agree with you friend. i love that you love art, it is very suiting to you and really is beautiful because there is no concrete answer to anything. it really is a beautiful thing my friend,