Friday, February 26, 2010

the rhino is lookin' fine-o

in my printmaking class we've been doing linoleum cuts {they're big stamps, to put it simply} based upon some of the master etchers and woodcutters recorded in art history. so we spent hours carving away the white space to leave the rest to be inked up and shoved through the press to make some pretty snazzy prints.


i chose the work of Albrecht Durer to do a subtractive linoleum cut from because:
1). he's a stud 
             &
2.) i am completely obsessed with his rhinoceros woodcut.
it's about time i posted about this little piece o' heaven since it's been in my life for nearly three weeks. and after many many hours and ink that is still under my fingernails, i am pleased with the results! so here he is, in all of his oversized/gorgeous mammal glory.


{the linoleum itself before being inked up}

{once it's actually printed}

{an experimental print: "rainbow roll" method}

{my fave... printed on mustard colored linen fabric}

these look much more beautiful/tangible in person but i've been wanting to show them off nonetheless. im hoping to do some more experimental printing and have heard of a few oppotrunities/shows to get this little guy out into the world... we shall see.
_________________________________________


in other news:


- my india interview is tomorrow! {send me some successful thoughts}
- the february eddy is also tomorrow! 7 at the fountain for the biola locals, should be a sick line up since its a student showcase of the campus wide talent.
- i am still completely obsessed with my dearest companion, my slr. {which i crocheted a camera strap for... which you can't see in this picture but it's pretty cozy, i assure you}


2 comments:

Lauren said...

love the rhinos!
Go india!
love you

Linda McCord said...

WOW Rachel, that is the coolest rhino print I've ever seen....I know I haven't seen many..ok,any, but I'm sure yours is the coolest ever. UGOGIRL!