Friday, January 2, 2009

Hmm...

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.
Let the rain sing you a lullaby." Langston Hughes


There's nothing quite like rain. I was sitting on my couch today, drinking tea and listening to Torrey Conference make ups (that I swiftly mailed off today with crossed fingers to reach school in time), and I just love the way it feels. Rain casts a strange gloom over everything it touches. Sometimes its a happy gloom though, kind of a brooding, thought provoking gloom that puts you in a pensive state of mind. That's how the rain decided to be today, thoughtful.

No thoughts in particular, just clustered thoughts and reminiscence of past dreams and aspirations I've had. I thought about how I used to want to be a marine biologist when I was little because I had a strange love for dolphins and other slippery looking animals. But then when I learned I would have to cut them up to know how to help them, that dream faded a bit. I also thought about how I played the clarinet for about 2 months in junior high. The only reason I did was because when I asked the band teacher if I could play the drums, she suggested I play the clarinet first and then could "work my way up" to drums...yeah, because that makes sense, she was just clarinet-happy.
I thought about how I got knitting needles and yarn for Christmas and it's really bothering me that I still haven't put them to use yet. I thought about how my toes are almost always cold. I thought about how I painted my walls electric blue in 8th grade for no apparent reason, I also painted the ceiling with clouds...that are still there.

I hope this Christmas break will entail much more thinking than the last. With
lots of time to do it, and much more tea to drink, I'd say its a safe bet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i learned how to knit 2 weeks ago and i decided i'm going to paint a tree on the wall of my room. do it with me.